Monday, May 5, 2008

Well Excuse Me!

AJ is getting very vocal - whether he wants to go outside, have some milk, or watch movie Cars. In the last couple of days he started saying "scuse me". I know where he gets it from - his Mommy and his teacher Ms. Sally are both trying to teach him some manners and say "excuse me" often.

AJ's use of "scuse me" is kind of funny though. He says it when he wants you to move or wants your attention - for example, I was sitting on the bed with him while he pushed his car around. Well apparantly I got in his way so he puts his hand on my leg, gives me a very gentle push and says "scuse me mommy". I chuckled and didn't move right away and his response was to say it again, with some irritation and annoyance in his voice. So I hopped up and he resumed pushing his car around the bed. He hasn't yet said it when he wants to interupt someone, but I have a feeling that is coming.

We see his personality and persistence in so much he does these days. This past weekend he learned that if Mommy says "no", go ask Daddy and vice versa. I brought him inside because he was throwing dirt after I asked him not to. We weren't in the house 2 minutes and AJ found Pete, grabbed his hand and led him to the door saying "outside daddy?" in a questioning tone. Daddy stood firm with Mommy and within minutes he came back over to Mommy to try again. Sometimes he is too cute and it is hard but as Pete says "you're in charge Mommy".

We did have a breakthrough while outside playing in the yard with the neighbors tonight. AJ started to wander to their front yard and usually won't respond to me calling his name or worse, once he hears me he hauls toward the street in a sprint so I have to dash after him. Tonight I called his name and asked him to come back, he turned around, stopped and said "ok" and marched back over. I was slightly shocked! YIPEE!

No comments: